The HSE advises that the flu vaccine does not protect against coronavirus.
Our residents, the majority of them being over 65, are an at-risk group, as are those who have a long-term medical condition – for example, heart disease, lung disease, diabetes or liver disease. As such we will be employing clinical judgement and every precaution to protect the health of our residents, and indeed the health of our valued home staff, should there be a confirmed case of coronavirus in Ireland.
How the virus is spread ?
It is believed that coronavirus is spread in sneeze or cough droplets.
You could be at risk of contracting the virus if you:
– Come into close contact with someone who has the virus and is coughing or sneezing
– touch surfaces that someone who has the virus has coughed or sneezed on
– Because it’s a new illness, it is not known how easily the virus spreads from person to person, or, if someone can spread the virus before they show symptoms.
All visitors to the nursing home are asked to use the sterilising hand gel dispensers at the entrance door, prior to visiting your loved one.
All visitors are asked to wash your hands properly and regularly with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub
– after coughing or sneezing
– after toilet use
– before eating
– before and after preparing food
– if you are in contact with a sick person, especially those with respiratory symptoms
– if your hands are dirty
– if you have handled animals or animal waste
– cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve when you cough and sneeze
– dispose of used tissues into a bin and wash your hands with soap
– follow the travel advice from the Department of Foreign Affairs if traveling to a country or region with a spread of coronavirus.
We will continue to liaise with the HSE and will update families of any further developments.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Useful Resources :
If you have recently travelled from an affected area or want information about Coronavirus, go to:
HSE’s coronavirus page, or
Health Protection Surveillance Centre website
Information is also available from:
– European Centre For Disease Control
– World Health Organisation WHO
Please remind all family members that they can best protect themselves from COVID-19 by regular and vigorous hand-washing and good respiratory hygiene.
For more info from HSE on the Coronavirus click here : https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/coronavirus.html